View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn
Jim's braces above look "straight" to me. The thickness doesn't vary much, and they're also not scalloped. Great looking work though! My Raimundo uses this type in the classical "fan" layout.
The X-braces are pretty much a straight taper with the tops rounded over, but the finger braces and tone bars are an airfoil shape, with the highest point near the x-brace joint. It's hard to tell from that angle, but they do have a curve and taper to them, and are slightly tapered in the profile (towards the top) and have significant roundover at the top.

I have no idea what the correct term for this is. There is no single word that I can use to describe them. I refuse to use the word 'parabolic', just because they aren't, and I don't want to give the impression that I'm trying to follow that model specifically. Curved, Tapered, Rounded... all are sorta accurate, and these terms are less specific than 'parabolic', so I'm more comfortable using them.

I think the problem is we are all trying to use one word to describe something that can't be pinned down that easily. There are too many variables.