View Single Post
Old 01-12-2017, 12:11 PM

As folks have said--and I'll agree--there's a lot of territory labeled blues and you can play blues on anything. I get the sense you are starting out, figuring it out. Do you have some artists whose sound you're aiming to get in the neighborhood of?

Since we don't know, and I guess it's possible you don't yet know, what sound you'll end up aiming for, I'd suggest a Fender Mustang III amp. It's loud enough, has a 12" speaker that can handle decent low end thump if that's your thing, has a nice direct out, and can do a good job of emulating a number of amps so you can explore your sound. If you hook it up to a computer there are a number of nice "blues" user presets available for download into the amp. If you try one out, skip to the highest numbered presets first where they have "plug straight in" non-effect loaded amp models.

The Super Champ XD is a similar idea, but it's a lower volume amp (particularly if you want some clean volume) and doesn't have as much lower end thump if you are going to be thumbing the bass strings.

I have a circa 2000 DeArmond X175 (big, deep archtop with modern humbuckers) and an old Harmony or Kay slimline archtop with the speedbump pickup. I string the DeArmond with TI flats and go for the '50s/early '60 jazz sound. I string the slimline with nickel electric guitar lights for a more Chicago/Maxwell Street vibe. You could probably go either way with the X150.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....