View Single Post
Old 01-06-2017, 05:34 AM
Charter Member

Default The Shadows "Final Tour" - How "pop" music has changed!

I 'm not into electrics so this may be the first time I've posted here.

Last nmight, after getting home from hospital to hear some bad news, we dined on some trout, then sat down in front of the goggle box.

There was a full concert from "The Shadows" They were formed in the late '50s - early '60s. mainly to back the British Elvis - Cliff Richard.

Obviously the mermbers have changed ...a little - but Hank Marvin the lead guitarist, and Bruce Welch on rhythm have been there from the start, (1958) and their very fine drummer, Brian Bennett joined in 1961.

This WAS leading edge pop music when I was 11- 15, and this was the music that I first started playing drums to at the School Friday dances. No Mics, no songs, just ..."tunes" !

The Shadows "Walk" choreography, and the virtually unchanged FX - all signature stuff. Of course they couldn't get hold of Fenders initially, and their signature gear were Burns Bison solids, and Vox AC30 amps.

See them here :

They predate the Beatles and the Stones ! - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shadows

Then, the Rolling stones came on the scene - and took me to the "dark side" by 1963.

The Shad's music seems so...calm, and polite compared to what we see now - what do you think?