View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
I just want to make sure I understand this discussion. Following up on Gordon's comment... If you're using close-miking technique, then room size hardly matters. Right? Just add whatever concert hall treatment you want in post-production. I've seen video on this site of guys recording in what looks like a padded phone booth, and the guitar sounds about as good as I can imagine a guitar sounding. Room size and configuration only matter if you want (or can't avoid) some kind of natural ambience in your recording.
Unless 100% deadened, all rooms have a sound, regardless of size. Close micing with cardioids does not eliminate the room, especially with super sensitive condensers.

So unless the OP has a way to completely deaden the small room (including the ceiling and floor), the early reflections and any frequency build up due to parallel walls may cause problems (especially in the bass freqs) because the mic will pick them up. In general, the smaller the space, the bigger the potential problem.