View Single Post
Old 12-23-2017, 04:57 PM

Default The braces came today.

Hooray for USPS.
Its the Stew-Mac dreadnought package plus the spruce repair panels (3), and cleat strips (3 or 4).

My chisels are at my GF's and I'm going to bring them home tomorrow. Using utility knife blades doesn't allow for the fine control needed. On the positive side it sort of prevented me from getting carried away and doing too much and the subsequent damage that would have followed.

The braces are for a larger bodied guitar, but not too far off. I'm going to center the old ones and transfer the carved profile to the new items. Cut, carve, sand.
I'm going to visit Harbor Freight for a less expensive selection of clamps. Maybe they have some items I can use.

I'm looking at a crack in the top that runs from the rear of the sound hole, past the X (just below it) all the way but stopping just before the bridge plate. I thought I would cut a triangle from the spruce top stock to cover the terminal end of the crack. Its not a wide crack overall. I'm sure the top has shrunk since it appeared.
Am I wrong to think I can close that gap? and then cleat it? I suppose I'll put some lateral compression on the top, gently with a clamp, and see if I can improve that condition, even a little. I highlighted the crack in two pictures.

I don't want to replace the Bridge plate. Is there a good reason to do so? Are my spruce top repair plates a better quality wood than what is in there? Stronger? Tighter grain?. I know I risk another can of worms yet on the other hand, I'm replacing probably all of the braces. It's a "Might as well" moment.

All the best for a wonderful safe and happy Holiday season.

Gary