View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

I think if you have an itch to put a Martin into your stable of GA's, I would go with a new 2018 D-28 (or HD-28) or a D-18. Both classic guitars with modern necks that would be easy for you to feel comfortable with coming from the Taylor camp. Many of the older guitars and traditional players enjoy the feel of the modified V neck that comes with many of the Martins that name ends in V like the HD-28V signifying the vintage series, many of which have that neck shape which is a far cry from a Taylor neck. I do not have any Taylors but I like Taylors thinner neck shapes so I leant toward the new Martin standard line that use the Modified Low Oval which is a slimmer, less extreme than the mod-v neck shape.
Don't get me wrong there are people that only want the Martin V shape like many people like the much older Fender or Gibson Les Paul beefier necks (baseball Bats). But Many people lean toward the newer more moderate shaped MLO necks. It has been such a success for Martin that most of their new guitars are being built the MLO neck.

Anyway you cant go wrong with the Martin D-18 or D-28 which are the Mahogany and Rosewood solid wood (non-laminate) that are the basic guitars that Martin's lines are built on.

I bought a D-18 when I first wanted to dip my toe into the Martin pool. The guitar is as good to this day as it was when I bought it many years ago. I now own several very good brands & shapes - some of them very pricey. The D-18 compares well with all of them. Probably the best valued guitar I have ever bought.