View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I wouldn't mind a green instrument but would want very dark green top and translucent green over maple for the back. Add some gold hardware and it might look pretty good
Back in the early 1980’s I was a regular customer at Chicago Music on Lincoln Avenue, a few blocks from where I lived. Although Gibson guitars at that time were still being made in Kalamazoo, Michigan, Norlin’s corporate headquarters was in the “Chicagoland” area, somewhere in the western suburbs, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, the store had a good relationship with Norlin, and as a result, they had all sorts of Gibson prototypes and one-offs at what I now realize were very good prices. (I was making enough money playing Irish music in the pubs to pay my rent, buy books, go see movies and date young women, but buying cool prototype Gibson guitars was more than I could afford.)

ANYway, your comments reminded me of one of those Gibson one-offs they had hanging on the wall at the store. It was like a BB King model, a 335 without f holes, in a gorgeous hunter green finish. It sounded great and played wonderfully, as well.

I played Irish music on it. It seemed appropriate...

Nowadays I’d haggle on the price a little bit, but would end up buying it and taking it home. But back then it was one of those wistful partings, never meant to be.

I’ve never forgotten it, though, obviously. You’d have to wrassle me for it, HHP, and I guess that THEN we’d find out who’s meanest and fastest...

Wade Hampton Miller