View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 10:21 AM

Default Wading the dark swamp waters, again.....

I’m rarely seen in these parts as I am totally swamped with work and have a low tolerance for guitar related nonsense, but in this case, I have not alternative. I’ll have to strap on my hip waders again.

Now, I am no expert on guitar making, I do not believe there is such a person in this field, but I do have SOME direct experience with the subject matter. I built my first guitar in 1966 and am currently closing up the box on # 2349, not to mention the hundreds upon hundreds of vintage instruments I have repaired and restored over the last 50 years. But I am no expert.

I can tell you that abalone trim does not in any way effect the tone of a guitar, any more than does herringbone or plastic (with the possible exception of the early Bozo purflings).

Think about it; these trims are firmly glued to the inset channel in the edge of the top that is itself firmly glued to the liners under the top and all of these things are firmly glued to the very rigid sides of the guitar. As vibration goes, this area on the perimeter of the top is as rigid as it gets, a null point relative to the overall top motion. The tiny mass difference between a .060" abalone strip and a .060" herringbone purfling makes no difference to the sound waves moving through either, especially given the null point factor.

It is, however harder to do abalone trim than other trims. It is also more expensive and labor intensive, so the cost difference at retail is significant for a good reason. Tonally, however, every guitar is only as good as the sum of its parts and not so much in the tiny details thereof. The quality of the top is crucial to the voice of the guitar. The type of trim around it is eye candy, tonally non-participatory and a great marketing point for the maker. To think otherwise is simply misinformed foolishness.

I will say that, as a rule traditionally, the higher grade instruments like the 42's and 45's were purposely made with the best grades of tops and hand selected brace stock as opposed to the lower grades of the same models, and it is to be expected there might be a tonal difference down the road. But it ain’t the abalone trim doing that! Seriously, guys?