View Single Post
Old 02-05-2018, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Hum/Ground Loop Troubleshooting (Tonedexter content)

So yesterday I set up my new Tonedexter (TD) to start learning how to use it and generate the Wavemaps for my collection.

My setup was guitar pickup to input on TD via a 1/4" TS cable, Shure KSM137 mic for getting the mic'd sound from the guitar to the TD via an XLR cable, and a pair of headphones connected to the TD 1/4' monitor headphone jack.

First up was my Jake Robinson 12 fret dread that I had a passive K&K pickup installed. The whole process following the TD instructions went smoothly and I was very happy with the end result of how much the Wavemap sounded like the mic'd guitar.

Next up was my 2017 Taylor K22 12 fret with the ES2 active EQ/pickup. Setup on the guitar was to center all the ES2 knobs as recommended in the TD user guide. When I put the headphones on to monitor the mic'd signal, there was a healthy amount of hum heard and that hum practically stopped if I put my finger on the metal outer frame of the TD. The hum led to a poor sounding Wavemap and I think the hum is interfering with the TD's software algorithms in properly processing the mic signal and creating an accurate Wavemap.

I then tried the same on my 2014 Taylor 812ce 12 fret and the same happened but the hum was not as prominent and the Wavemap was a bit better but not near the result I got with the Robinson/K&K combo. Again, placing my finger on the TD frame pretty much stops the hum.

So it appears the power to the TD is not grounded properly. The power comes out of a wall socket and goes to a grounded power strip that primarily has battery charging duties as well as keeping a trickle charger going for my Ernie Ball string winder. There is a ground light on the power strip and it is it green meaning the ground is functioning. The AC-DC power supply for the TD is a TRIAD WS2U120-0700 with input requirement of 100-240VAC/50-60 hz and output of 12VDC, .7A. This power supply only has a two prong (neutral/hot) plug into my power supply so this leads me to believe the circuit to the TD is not grounded and that is the reason for the hum I hear with the active ES2 system. I wonder if the active ES2 and the TD are "competing" to find a ground in the loop and that is the source of the issue.

Would finding a AC-DC adapter with a ground prong solve the issue?

All feedback appreciated.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)