Thread: Phantom power
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 02:02 PM

Hi VKB,

Its been many years since I've owned a Godin Duet model, but I checked the Godin FAQ sheet and apparently the Duet model has an XLR input (mic cable input) as well as a 1/4" input. If the PA mixer has phantom power, you can power the guitar (no onboard battery needed) with a mic cable running from the mixer (with phantom power turned on) to the guitar's XLR input.

Some guitar amps have phantom power on the mic input, but that's usually intended for folks who want to run a condenser vocal mic thru the amp. You'll need two mic inputs with phanton power to run both a vocal mic and your Duet model Godin battery free. That'll probably narrow down your amp choices quite a bit (if you happen to be set on running everything thru an amp, rather than a PA system). I can tell you that the Fishman Solo Amp has two phantom powered mic inputs, so that's one possibility.

I hope that helps explain things. Running thru a phantom powered mic cable (as opposed to a mono guitar cable) can also be quieter in some situations, so saving on batteries is only one of the advantages.

Gary