View Single Post
Old 05-27-2016, 12:27 PM

I've run battery-powered rigs for roughly 9 years now, from compact/ultra-portable 1-man set-ups, to much more capable and elaborate set-ups, complete with twin 12" powered speakers, monitor(s), 12-ch mixer, and LED stage lighting. Basically, I'm using a single 12v/115ah deep-cycle battery(paid $89. at Costco in 2007), and I have a pair of Xantrex MSW 12vDC-120vAC inverters; one is rated at 300w, and the other is 1500w. The battery is relatively heavy, so I use a rolling/folding luggage-cart to move it around. I've never (repeat; never) had a lick of problems or issues with this set-up; no noise; no hiss, no issues period.

The small inverter easily handles my Compact 60, or any other amp that I have, for 8 hours and more. I don't have to compromise and use some of the cheap-sounding battery-powered amps that I generally see being sold for this type of application.

With the larger 1500w inverter, I've run a pair of Yorkville NX55P powered speakers for mains, as well as one NX55P as a floor-monitor, plus a 12ch Soundcraft EFX-8 console, and a few LED wash-lights, for 8 hours, with no sign that the rig was "running out of juice".

I bought both inverters on half-price sales at Canadian Tire, in 2007-8, and those ended up costing me $28. and $76.