View Single Post
Old 10-13-2023, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACOUSTICDEWD View Post
Tony Rice once mentioned that he preferred the Sony C-48 but that Unit of Measure of album (sounds phenomenal) cover pic shows two massive LDC mics. Of course, his custom "banjo killer" guitar was possibly the loudest acoustic ever. i once played the santa cruz remake and was stunned.

As for the mic quest OCD, this single video should help. The entire 12 string guitar part of the ONE great song recorded in the 90's was done using a cheap headset mic through a tascam... on the toilet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJHXDdmPn0Y
Yeah, those are U47s on the cover...about $60k in today's market for the pair.

On to Bettencourt/Extreme - that recording is not great...I mean, you can tell it was a cheap recording that they resuscitated. Can you hear the "whoosh" of the noise from the room at the very start? Or how thin that guitar sounds. They rolled off a ton of low end to get rid of noise, at the expense of the guitar tone. It sounds like a 1930s recording of a an old Stella.

Now whether that mattered to it's success...obviously not. But they did that for the emotion of the demo. Not because they though it sounded better than what they captured in the studio. It's really not uncommon for an artist to get demo-itis. I feel for whoever the producer was...that had to be a difficult conversation with the label/A&R rep. Oofa!

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele