View Single Post
Old 07-19-2016, 12:35 PM

So did a few quick bits and pieces on the build today, modified my dremel router base so i could rout for and glue in the rosette which I did, glued in linings on the top edge

Dremel router base mod, cut a chunk out of the base which allowed me to insert a block which moved the centre-point pin much closer to the cutting bit allowing a much tighter, and now small enough to be usable, circle.
Untitled by David Emm, on Flickr

Superglued a block of wood to the plastic mount to move the pin allowing a smaller circle than the base allows as "standard"

Routed the channel for the rosette to sit in

Glued the rosette in with a bwb purfling on the inside of the ring, i actually wasnt planning on this, but the router base is SO unstable my "circular" channel was noticably "Oval" so i scraped the inside edge with a chisel and sanded the inside edge of the rosette until it fit. Ideally I would have put the purfling strip on both sides, but I didn't trust the router to do a good enough job to cut the small gap for the purfling on the outside of the rosette so I left it as is, I actually quite like it like this. It was left slightly proud and glued with a small weight on it. I'll scrape it flush to the soundboard tomorrow.

Then glued the linings in using rubber bands on the plastic pegs for extra clamping power!

Tomorrows job planning includes cutting the soundhole out, gluing the liners on the other side and gluing the braces to the soundboard, i'll end up gluing them all on as 'large' blocks and then scallop and shape them with a chisel afterwards, a bit of a pain and a bit more risky but something that has to be done when you don't have go bars.