View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

I can't comment on everything here being as I haven't played a Tom Bills guitar. I have played about 10 Different McPherson's and I owned a 5.0xp Cedar/EIR for a while. I also played a Batson guitar for a while one time.

To your first question, I think the Cantilevered necks, the combo of the thicker tops and misplaced sound hole all help with sustain and you hear it big time when you play a McPherson. I've noticed I like the Cedar or Spruce top with Rosewood back and sides the best for McPhersons. I did play a 4.0 with Adi and Mahogany which was very nice but I normally like the dark woods McPhersons. The best sounding one I've played was a 4.5 with Sitka and Eir which is one of thier base models. I've noticed McPherson guitar really rely on those medium strings to drive that thicker top, lights don't work IMO.

On the Batson guitars I've noticed that when you play one they sound more like a standard flat top to the player but a little more like a archtop to the listener. The one I played sounded really good and was a blast to play! I didn't spend enough time with it to really look at all the bracing differences. It seemed like the guitar was the best of what I like in a high quality archtop mixed with a flattop. Very cool guitars and design.

Of all the guitars I've played from both these brands they have all been very high quality.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23