View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

I would suggest you definitely err on the side of "keeping it simple"...

-The Bose on the floor (bass frequencies s p r e a d and are non-directional, so the bass will move through the room!) and ONLY use the two inputs on the Compact whenever possible.

-Have the ability (with the set-up) to accommodate folks who need a 1/4" high impedance input for their guitars, as the VAST majority of acoustic guitars with pickups will want this! If you can do this with your mixer, great... if not, just use the two inputs on the Bose and the performer will have to "make do' with that... they will sound just fine through the Bose rig.

-Have one vocal mic, and it should be decent, but not one you'd be heartbroken were it damaged... have a second mic as a back-up, as well for a second singer. I don't think you even need reverb on the vocal or guitar, not for one or two songs each... but, if you MUST have FX, then you should dial them in PRIOR to the performers getting up there. If you let THEM decide what they want, you will never get much music played!

-A good Open Mic is the epitome of "plug in and play", and you should do everything you can to facilitate that experience! The more streamlined you get the set-up, the faster folks can just walk up and play...

I don't even think you need the "lighted music stand"... for just a couple songs, remembering the ones you're playing is a good litmus test/requirement for the fledgling Open Mic participant... THEY should know their material, it's part of being/learning to be, a performer!

(Believe me, I still remember when it was a really BIG deal for me to have three songs I could play, without looking at any sort of lyric or chord sheet... folks who want to get out and play will get into learning their songs well enough to come play your OM...)

I believe that with very little work beforehand, anyone who sits down will sound wonderful through the Bose Compact. Do you remember how good it sounded when YOU first played through one? They are surprisingly easy to work with and achieve a great sound...

Good luck! Let us know how it goes...

As a few of these events go by, you may have a few "special" performers. I think it's fine to give a bit of "special treatment" to them, but not at the exclusion of the others that want to play... you're running the show, so you get to decide...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman