View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago View Post
Louie Atienza, can you elaborate on the patch? I don't quite understand
Well you removed wood in the proceas of pulling the bridge. It happens. If you just merely sand the area smooth you'll create a recession in the area. So either a) you end up with a thicker film if glue than necessary at that point, or b) you cranked the clamp enough to force the join closed, and when you remove the clamps the resulting tension forces the bridge to warp slightly, possibly enough to warp the bottom of the saddle slot. In this scenario I may actually create a fissure of constant depth where the tear out was, tapering it to zero and fitting it under the bridge footprint, then gluing material hopefully of the same wood and leveling that out to the surrounding area.

Probably b is the likely scenario which can be checked. The slot can be trued but likely a new saddle would be needed. I don't think fully gluing the bridge in did harm, a lip is usually left by manufacturers to ensure a clean bridge install. But I think full bridge gluing considered more an improvementthan anything else.