View Single Post
Old 11-25-2017, 02:43 PM

Randy, I'm OK playing either the N1 neck (which I own on my 2001 made WS-1000) or the N2 neck (test played in stores). Also, I have never missed having a truss rod on my N1 neck -- it's relief has not moved perceptibly from light to medium gauge strings, or through several alternate tunings -- lots of tension changes on the neck. Some folks prefer the slightly fuller feel of the N2 neck, more of a "D" shape than a "C" shape. I play finger style about 70-75% of the time, with bare natural nails.

AZ has had issues with the preferred relief on his WS-3000 twelve string, which is why he wants a truss rod. I don't have any direct experience there. My new Emerald X20-12 has a truss rod, but I removed the factory supplied EJ37 HEAVY strings (!!) and put on a standard light gauge set (EJ38) and see no real difference in neck relief. It did lose a little in overall volume and perhaps bass resoonse, with the top not being driven so hard, but it was SO much easier to play.

The Rainsong Jumbo is a BIG and bold guitar, much bigger in feel and actual size than an Emerald X20.

FWIW, as part of my string change I took the octaves off first and played my X20-12 as a six string for about an hour. The volume diminished and was noticeably quieter compared to my WS-1000, but the tone became very warm and mellow -- much like the difference between a cedar top and a spruce topped guitar. So now my X20-12 has been played with a heavy set of twelve strings, the equivalent of a light gauge six string set, and now light gauge twelve strings -- all without perceptible changes in neck relief. Maybe it changed a bit, but I did not get out feeler gauges or a micrometer to measure the relief.

Hope this helps......