View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward993 View Post
Hmmm, the word "pompous" stands out to me here. Your feelings toward the company is clear.

Again, the words "that they can pull this one off" suggest that you feel they are "trying to get away with something." This speaks more of of your stance than of the marque, itself, IMHO.

To the former point you raise, the moniker still bears his actual name. The "pompous" is clearly through your filter.

To your latter point, precious few "get away with" much in the marketplace where the dollar and demand speak louder than words. To connote that RT is pulling a fast one, again, speaks more of how you see them than who the company is. And yes, all IMHO.

Edward
Hey, steady on there, chief!

Firstly, 'to pull something off' in no way suggests anything underhand or dishonest, and nor was it intended that way. It simply means 'to be successful at something despite the odds'.

Secondly, I have nothing against Taylors and have one on order right now. That said, for a guy who is universally know as 'Bob' Taylor to label his special stuff as 'R' Taylor does smack of pomposity. It sounds a bit like a boss who insists on being called by his first name on social occasions and by Mr. ... in the office. 'Robert' is the loftier, more formal version of 'Bob', and although Bob Taylor himself seems to be a delightful guy, for me, the choice of 'R. Taylor' as a label for the cream of his crop adds an elitist and, in my view, pompous connotation. 'Bob' Taylor is a guy who hangs around with the guys on the factory floor in a T-shirt and jeans and is photographed jamming with his team (as in one edition of Wood and Steel). 'Robert' Taylor, though, sounds as if he wears thousand dollar suits and expects workers to doff their caps as he passes.

But as I say, nothing against the guy or his company, just the unfortunate word associations which go with that choice.