View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
One thing I've wondered about 'Taylor' and the oddly pompous 'R.Taylor' (probably his mother used to call him 'Robert' when he left his tools all over the living room floor ...) division is that in my mind, the presence of one diminishes the credibility of the other. By this I mean that when someone thinks of a quality luthier, are they likely to turn to a maker whose claim to fame is uniform factory models? And for someone looking for a top quality factory model, will they feel that a common-old 'Taylor', whose maker is 'Bob' in his overalls on the shop floor, is now the poor relation of the splendiferous 'R. Taylor', whose maker is now a beatified version of himself bearing the loftier title of 'Robert' and who makes a far better guitar than poor old common 'Bob'?...
Hmmm, the word "pompous" stands out to me here. Your feelings toward the company is clear.

Quote:
But they clearly know what they're doing. It does surprise me though that they can pull this one off.
Again, the words "that they can pull this one off" suggest that you feel they are "trying to get away with something." This speaks more of of your stance than of the marque, itself, IMHO.

To the former point you raise, the moniker still bears his actual name. The "pompous" is clearly through your filter.

To your latter point, precious few "get away with" much in the marketplace where the dollar and demand speak louder than words. To connote that RT is pulling a fast one, again, speaks more of how you see them than who the company is. And yes, all IMHO.

Edward