View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 09:22 AM

Default My first post and my first Martin

Hello to all. First, I'd like to say thanks for all the great information that can be learned from this site. I've been browsing for a while and finally took the plunge.

After a long debate between a Taylor 410ce, Martin D or DC series, Larrivee LV or D series and a Seagull Peppino D'Agostino, I finally bought my first Martin (all wood, DC-16GTE). I took the Martin plunge based on a recent trip to my local music store. I tried several different brands (not including Larrivee because no one in town carries them), and just loved the sound of the Martins. Especially the all wood models.

Being a long time fan of Takamine and the owner of a 1996 Santa Fe PSF-15C currently, I'm amazed at the difference in sound between the two, not to mention the playability of the Martin. Given that my Takamine is a Cedar top with Rosewood back and sides versus Martins Spruce top and Mahogany back and sides, this would surely attribute to the sound difference. I never knew what I was missing. The Takamine does has sentimental value to me because as it was my first 'real' guitar, or at least in my eyes. It was also a gift from my father. I'm not sure I'll ever part with it. I learned to play on an old, inexpensive Yamaha.

I can't help but wonder how the Larrivees play and sound. That may always be in the back of my mind. It's too bad that I didn't have the chance to get my hands on one in my search. However, I'm truly excited about the Martin. I'm not sure I could be any happier but again, I don't know what I'm missing. The Martin I found is a 2005 with about 2 play hours on it, mint with case and all paperwork from an individual. I got it for exactly half the music store/online vendor price for virtually a brand new guitar.

Based on my purchase, can someone put to rest my inquisitiveness about Larrivees? I just can't get the below video out of my head. It's an example of a Taylor and Larrivee played together. I love the fullness and sound of that old Larrivee (from what I can tell), although it's very close to having a hole worn in it. It's also my favorite contemporary Christian band (Needtobreathe). The Taylor also sounds absolutely amazing although I'm not sure which one it is (---ce).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CozhYXk5N1I

Thanks for the insight.

Last edited by axledobe; 10-15-2009 at 10:32 AM.