View Single Post
Old 11-18-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
"every other week" makes it tough for sure. Does the same go for recording?

8 hours over 5 (actual) weeks, only equals 1-1/2 hours per practice day - this is good, because if you are rehearsing/recording the same song over and over, it can get sloppy after multiple takes. I find that usually my 2nd or 3rd take is the best one, assuming I already 'know' the part.

So knowing that, it'd be good to take the first couple of practices for everyone to do all the songs a couple of times each, then the 3rd time you get together start the serious 1-song-at-a-time practice-then-record sessions.
This is exactly what happened last time when we recorded in a big professional studio. We knew we couldn't afford any more than 14 hours. And we knew that we'd have to do it using the "everyone recording at once" method (thirteen channels total). So our first couple of practices were about familiarization and then we had three or four where we recorded ideas (wrote them down as well as recorded them on a Zoom H2 for subsequent distribution via email). When we finally went into the studio, the first take was a warm up and the second was almost always the keeper.

Last edited by buzzardwhiskey; 11-18-2016 at 08:51 AM.