View Single Post
Old 11-24-2014, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheof View Post
No. Zero frets failed to catch on in the 60's. So, no. There will be zero zero frets.
Actually, not. Gibson just recently announced their 2015 line with zero frets, which in that case are basically an adjustable nut height (same effect at the end of the day). The zero frets in the 60s were mostly a money saving tactic on cheap guitars because it is expensive to properly cut a nut - that need has obviously gone away, meanwhile the benefits remain for some. If you've played with a capo on lower frets you might feel the benefits of a seemingly low action and bouncy responsiveness.

Stuart, interesting you bring this up for discussion as I have raised the question before about above use case without knowing what zero fret was ... after someone recommended I look into zero fret like tweaks (one mentioned was zero glide DIY, though that thing scares me).

Because zero fret seems a little gimmicky to me, I've been wanting to start similar discussion about other options to achieve a similar effect. I have no problem fretting barre chords or anything else closer to the nut, but this bouncy responsive playability I love, so much that for certain songs I will tune down and capo up to get that playability. Any other ways to get that?

And please, bring on the zero fret debate!

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .