View Single Post
Old 12-08-2017, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

I find this subject interesting. I have recently tried three different Carbon guitars. And while none of them in my opinion will match a high end wood guitar there certainly is a wide range of tone. The CA COT Dread is as close to a Martin Dread as I have experienced, easily mistaken for a wood guitar. I never thought a Carbon guitar could sound so much like wood if I only went on the other Carbon guitars I had played up to this point. The latest Rainsong H DS1100n is to my ear clearly Carbon but not like the glass shattering tones of early Carbon guitars and projects the best. The McPherson Sable is closer to the wood sound and bass tones of the CA than to the Rainsong.

What I have noticed is fingerpicking with minimal nail, more flesh, the trebles of all three require much more force to really be heard ,sometimes in danger of "twanging" the string. I went to lighter 1st and 2nd strings to get more projection. Three very different builders but the same issue with subdued trebles volume. If one uses a pick or has serious nails I guess it's not an issue but is for me. I've gone back and forth on which to keep. By changing my angle of attack I've been able to noticeably improve the treble projection and tone on the CA so I've decided to keep it as it's like having a Martin Dred when it comes to tone.

Last edited by Racerbob; 12-09-2017 at 12:29 PM.