View Single Post
Old 02-07-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip B View Post
I also use a TC Helicon Harmony G . Mine is the earlier model, not the XT

It does a good job - I've found that the key to realism is to use as little harmony as possible... a little goes a long way

1)use intervals close to the note you're singing. The wider the transposition, the more unnatural it sounds.

2)don't use 3 part when 2 part will do

3)bring it in and out - definitely for large parts of the song, maybe even for phrases within the chorus
I would echo this sentiment. I regard it like a strong spice, discretion is your friend when using these units. However, I disagree with those who think they can't be used tastefully.

I use the TC Helicon Harmony G-XT. There are versions produced before and after mine. I think all can be used well or very badly, depending on the application.

The keys are laid out by Phillip B above. I would add:

1. Make sure your guitar is in tune. Not just relative to itself, but exactly in A440.
2. Make sure your singing is in tune
3. Make sure whatever chord you are playing has a third in it. Chords that alternate between sus2 and the third are going to make the harmonies warble. Sometimes you'll have to simplify your guitar playing while the harmonies are being generated.
4. Keep the harmony voices mixed lower than instinct might suggest. On my unit, I keep it at or below 9 o'clock. It should subtlely sweeten the sound, rather than cover it in gooey whipped cream.
5. Resist the temptation to use it for songs that have long sections of three part harmony. It works, but it's a very cheesy version of CSN or the Eagles.
6. Don't be fooled into thinking it will cover up bad vocals technique. Rather, it will just create more, bad vocal technique.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst