View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akustic View Post
TROM: more fundamentals, closer to vintage sound

CJ: more balance, overtones... nice modern guitar
I'll go with this. I played the Goodalls and ended up with the cut sitka/eir CJ. BTW, I don't think the cut causes any guitar any tonal grief but those are my ears. The bass on this CJ is just fine for the guitar. Goodall designs balance into these things and using a thumbpick (Delrin vs polycarb) it does just that. If you want more bass, you dig for it and it's there. Play even-handedly and the balance follows. Though I can play this thing all day long it isn't my go-to player. The neck shape/size I've come to decide just isn't the glove I need on my hand. Tonally, it is one of the best I've ever heard. It can give a very good fundamental depending upon the way it is picked. Bare flesh won't give it. It needs fingernails or picks for that. I use fingernails. I play a lot in the upper registers and will say that the bass, if not accentuated, remains weaker. A little digging brings out the balance. For the upper registers I use a polycarb thumbpick and just pull back a little when walking down to the lower ones. The guitar really isn't the Swiss Army Knife I've read from some people but it is a very good sounding guitar that just asks for a little varying technique to make it a good all-around player. Personally, I chose it over a Collings because I could get fundamental from the Goodall but I couldn't get warmth from the Collings.