View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 07:29 AM

I've had all sorts of guitars in my lifetime, but most of them were nothing special. I started out just like you, playing a very inexpensive guitar, learning on that. After a couple years I upgraded to a Yamaha acoustic, in the 500 range. Acoustically I mostly stuck with this all the way until 2008 (more than 10 years later) when I got more or less my dream guitar in the 814ce.

What I would say is this, if you truly love guitar and music you're gonna continue to play, regardless of what you play on. Would I have loved to have been playing somthing like the 814ce for my whole life? Sure, that would have been awesome. But was it a deal breaker in my love for music? Not at all.

This experience of course is what happened to me. For some people, strarting on higher-end guitar may be just what they need. One thing I will say is that I do seem to "feel" more creativity and "enjoy" the sound more when playing a nice instrument compared to an ok one. During my years with my Yamaha, in college, my buddy had a sweet 614ce. Of course I was jealous a bit. And everytime I played his guitar it just felt better. But I stuck with my modest yamaha and focused on playing and learning and all that, not on what guitar i was playing on. And hell, 14 years from when I started, I finally got something I'm really proud of. And it was worth the wait.

Let me add one last note. If money is not an issue, then I would upgrade Otherwise, rock out for now, it'll all fall into place in time.
Joe Pass Emperor II
Peavey Classic 50 Amp