View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 11:56 AM

Default How I use the Jamman Stereo

The stereo is pretty close to the solo. I use mine in 2 different ways.

1-as a true looper. In this capacity I do mostly songs that have the same progression the whole way through - example - Viva La Vida, Hit The Road Jack, Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes, etc. But I try not to over do these songs. I'm surprised how people get bored and/or turned off by the build up. Personally I think that's the best part. Case in point - look at the comments left on Youtube hits of loopers ( "Lost me in the first 1:30 min, but then it's good). Others (usually fellow musicians) give me BIG standing ovations for my inginuity (I'm in kind of a small town - my looping is still big news ). But so that I don't "lose" people, some times I just do a VERY basic drum loop to do song over (example - 4 thumps on guitar body -> loop it -> then play song normally. Like Hole-Hearted. Works good for Moves Like Jaggar too). My next arragement will probably be like Howie Day (ie-play song normally, (just ac guitar n voice) then keep adding loops to make a VERY big outro).

2-to play backing tracks. Since the memory can be expanded SO big - this was a no brainer. Mostly I take midi tracks & delete everything except Drums n bass (or some times just bass) -> convert to wav files -> load onto Jamman. I used to use a laptop for this, but bringing a laptop to gigs seemed to be inviting problems (stolen, water damage etc - or the most probable is dropping/hitting laptop & having hard drive malfunction. I know this the hard way). Also this saved the problem of starting the track. The Jamman is already a footswitch. For songs where the entire 1st verse was solo acoustic then the rhythm section came in - I had to free a hand to turn on track. Although I did it - it was never smooth. With Jamman it's very smooth transition. The only thing I'd like to do now is figure out a way to substitute the "normal" drum sounds for congas, bongos, guitar body slaps, etc. I think it would sound cool. Wish me luck.