View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Cool It Depends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnaketex View Post
So it's thumbs up all around?!

Can you phase out the mic completely if needed?
Bigsnaketex - It depends on WHICH version of the Anthem you choose.

The "full" Anthem has controls to affect the amount of mic level and the crossover point for the Element (UST)...it also has volume controls, led indicators for battery life, maybe even more control over the 2 pickups?

The SL (slim-line) version has a FIXED crossover for the UST, fixed at 250 hz and lower... it's a "soft taper" though, so the Element (UST) does affect some frequencies above 250 hz, albeit slight. There is a set-screw control for the mic level, to add or take away. The mic is a hard shelf at 250hz, so it picks up the frequencies from 250 hz and higher. Also, a volume control for the output...

The way that Brian (the tech at Baggs) explained it, the full Anthem would be if you think you will need to use ONLY the Element (UST) and need to have no mic, at all... like in a full band situation where volume is high and feedback a problem.

Thus far, I have no problem with feedback with mine; the 6 string will get a little "trigger happy" on the low A string if I'm sitting within 4 or 5 feet of the speaker and sub of my Bose - and playing at a high volume (way too loud for the room I'm in...). No apparent feedback from the microphone, however.

I'm quite pleased with the amplified sound of the Anthems... the one unhappy outcome of having them installed is that, somehow, they've changed the overall tone of my guitars when played acoustically. A slight loss of volume and a smoothing of tonal response... not a bad thing, but noticeable to my 60 year old ears! I've had my 6 string for 32 years, and I am very familiar with how it sounded BEFORE the Anthem; I have a room at my home that's my "unplugged" room, mostly tile and glass with an irregular shape. Acoustic guitars and voice sound GREAT in that room, and that's where I determined the change in my 6 string's volume and tone. So I'm quite certain of the change. If the darned things didn't sound so good amplified, I would have taken them out by now...

Good luck! Let us know how it works out for you...

play on................................................ ...>

John Seth Sherman
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman