View Single Post
Old 02-27-2008, 08:57 AM

Apparently, he was given a prop-guitar (all black or something) in another movie (may have been THAT D-18) that he had decided to keep, and my memory on this is vague, but may have sent it to Martin to get the paint off of it, and stripped down and finished au naturale. Maybe it wasn't the same guitar-but whatever the "prop" one was, he fell in love with its sound.

And for sure he plays. I am also a major-fan of Doug Dillard and the rest of the family. I "lived" for those episodes they were in-because they usually performed at LEAST two songs ("Dooley" being a staple!) and Doug was about the fastest 5-stringer on earth then (Bela Fleck and Tony Trischka had yet to be adults then). Doug has gone on to continue to tour, and play, and doesn't miss too many beats! Andy would often "sit in" with his clear pickguarded D-18 and play along. It was all legit.

Edit: here is the full story on that D-18-my memory wasn't as flawed as I thought. He DID rescue that guitar, and it's still his favorite. Can you imagine the cannon it's become in 50+ years!!!??? John D'Angelico personally restored that D-18!
http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAM...-Griffith.html

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28

Last edited by Folkstrum; 02-27-2008 at 09:04 AM.