View Single Post
Old 11-20-2010, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Default just one perspective....

I do a bit of consulting work. Some may consider my fees comparatively high. However, I can't imagine lobbying/imploring/leveraging/hoping "lesser" competitors someday realize that they are making it harder for me to get work in a competitive market by charging less than I do. Consumers make that judgement, and if ones services satisfy the person that's paying the bill, that's the only vote that matters. Subsequently, I'll have to be a LOT better or lower my fees. I like to think I'm just a lot better!!!

I also don't agree with the notion that high price is ALWAYS equivalent to higher quality. I think Todd makes a great argument in his Webber example. It may be for some products in some markets that the MORE one charges for their product, the better the sales (exclusivity)....quality aside. I think Gibson took this very tact. I've had similar discussions with prominent luthiers here, some of whom believe indeed that the more they charge for their instruments (exclusivity...which is indeed worth something), the better their sales and bottom line. I too believe that, in some instances for some products, this can be true.

Charge what you want (lots or little). Earn what you can and wish and need (lots or little). See if it floats in the market. Just my two cents.
Brent