View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 07:47 AM

Default Traditional Advantages / Disadvantages of a thinner neck?

Hi Gang,

I need help with a dilemma. I have several Talylors with their standard neck profile and also a beautiful custom that has a thin neck profile very similar to a Taylor T5. I'm having difficulty adapting to the thin neck and before I give up and decide to sell the guitar I wanted to at least throw out the question and ask in general what are the advantages of a thinner neck? My playing level falls somewhere between advanced beginner and early intermediate. Generally a combination of strumming and some finger picking patterns. I struggle continually with barre chords and they did seem to improve while using the thinner neck, but I never really could figure out if they improved due to the neck thickness or simply that I was practicing them more. I would rate my barre chord proficiency at maybe a 3 out of 10.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, I fear that if I sell the thin neck guitar, I may end up regretting doing so if there turns out to be a compelling reason to have a guitar with a thinner neck. Does that make any sense?

As always, many thanks for all the help.

Cheers,
Mark