View Single Post
Old 05-20-2015, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
rockabilliy, would you say then that the B-Band system still struggles with strumming? I listened to your recommendation and purchased the A2.2 XOM but have yet to install it. I do aggressive strumming so I am a bit worried that I will have issues with it when I strum hard.
No I wouldn't, it's one of the best for strumming, I just feel adding a mic to it is the final piece to the puzzle.

When I don't have a mic in front of it, I just back down the gain a bit and roll more to the AST side to get the top drive. It seems all USTs are sensitive to harder strumming and get that quack tone, but the AST side really helps to balance that out. The trick without a mic is to rehearse both strumming and fingerpicking and see what kind of gain you need at the PA/AMP end and no how to adjust on the fly. So I say, hurry up and get the pickup in there, and when you install it, make sure to put a little piece of cotton or felt or something soft in the hole where the UST passes through the bridge plate. The only problem I've had with the B-Band is a slight metallic tone that I've heard in loud volume situations, and the soft stuff cures that! Also make sure you mount the preamp close enough to allow the pickup leads to reach it. In other words, mount the pickups where you want them and see how much lead you have before you mount the preamp. It's only really a problem if you mount the AST behind the bridge plate instead of under it. But from my experience the positioning of the AST isn't too overly important. It's behind the bridge plate on 2 of my guitars, and under on one. And it sounds great in both places!