Thread: selling music
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJE" View Post
Many thanks for the factual reality - but if he slogged around enough small independent retail outlets such as restaurants/petrol/gas stations giving them his CD/MP3 file, would this not be worth doing?

Also if the CD is recorded using entirely his own instrumentation/vocals or using musicians who have signed a 'buy out' contract -would the public places still have to pay licensing fees to the collection agencies?
What would all this work get YOU, the independent artist? People don't buy (or even pay attention to) recorded music in these places. And do you think the 'retail outlet' (whatever type) has someone switching CDs every 40 minutes, making sure all of them are non-PRO registered songs?
I think back to when my parents had a Cape Cod gift shop and had an 8 track tape player to play low repeated music all day - yes that same tape over and over and over again, clicking through its 4 'tracks' every 7-8 minutes each (until it stopped working and you would hear the same 7-8 minutes of songs over and over….) And, no, my parents never payed any PRO money back then (70s).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele