View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 01:02 PM

Default Martin HD28 vs Martin HD28v for Bluegrass

Hey gang, I just purchased a Martin HD28 (scalloped standard bracing position) and I am pretty happy with it. However, after reading some of the reviews online, many spoke to the sound od the HD28v, which features the FORWARD shifted scalloped bracing and the v neck with open tuners. Okay, I am sure many will say that both are good guitars which I know is true. However, I have been pursuing bluegrass guitar with the intention of having an instrument that will excell in the area of bluegrass. Anyone have opinions as to which guitar would be a better bluegrass instrument? Or, is it a "toss up." My local music store has one on order and I could trade in my HD28 and pay $700 to get the HD28v. Which instrument will be able to handle playing unplugged with other instruments and also be able to cut through the others when soloing...I have heard some posts that say the HD28v is too bassy to cut through the other instruments when soloing. Anyone have experieince in this area? Thanks in advance....