View Single Post
Old 09-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drteletubbie View Post
So it's been a year now since I picked up an guitar for the first time and I've been kind of avoiding barre chord ever since, so I decided it was time to learn how to properly barre... Is it supposed to hurt at the beginning or am I doing the
wrong technique?
Hi Dr TT…
You may be doing something wrong, or your guitar may be setup too high, or it could be other issues. Playing barres successfully is not a strength move; it's a positioning move.

Here are three short videos (under a minute each) I made and posted for students and friends. They are from different angles, and discuss finger placement and angle.

Where is the pressure - CLiCK

From Above and behind the neck - CLiCK

Front and above - CLiCK

I Hope these will help you…

As to pain…where does it hurt? If it's just from the action being too high or the strings too heavy, that may or may not go away with time. If it's the muscle on the back of the hand at the base of the thumb (between thumb and finger) that will likely get better with time and experience. That's an easy one to cramp up at first from just practicing barres for extended periods.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 09-28-2011 at 10:05 AM. Reason: had original posters initials wrong