View Single Post
Old 11-18-2017, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustNeverSleeps View Post
Silly Moustache, I have a Pono parlour, cedar top with acacia back and sides, I believe it's the OP-10D. I'll be back in the UK from 12 September and would be happy to let you play it for yourself if you're ever in London.

I use it as a travel guitar, possibly even what some here would call a "beater" - I take it out to the park or wherever and pass it round... Most people want to test it out!

The body feels quite deep and the scale length quite short. Sound-wise it is sweet and surprisingly full, especially tuned half a step down which is where I keep it. I bought on the recommendations of paul zoom (?), a poster here, and haven't regretted my decision.

John at Pono was very good to deal with and the attention to detail was a nice touch (nice inlay work, Pono tuners, lightweight but solid enough case, polishing cloth etc.). In fact, I turned to Pono again only yesterday to look at a potential ukelele purchase.

I may be wrong, but I think all sales are made directly through Pono, so there are no UK distributors. Given the lack of publicity and knowledge about the brand, as well as the shipping and import fees to the UK, you might not see such a great return on any resale.. but in my experience they're nice little guitars that you won't want to part with. Oh, really great set-up on arrival, too.

I also have the OP - 10 DC (Deluxe Cutaway) parlor in the same tone woods. Scale length is 24.75” on mine. Very well made, comfortable to play and good tone. Not boxy like some parlors. I also use mine as a travel guitar. Ponos are a great value in my opinion.

Best,
Jayne