View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Having small hands shouldn't be an issue on any guitars, even the ones with 2" nut widths and wide fretboards.
But, you might need to modify your technique. If I had smaller than average hands, thumb wrapping would be the last thing I would want to do with my fretting hand. It constricts space, limits freedom of movement, and creates tension.
If you're getting a classical guitar, then why not try positioning the hand accordingly in classical like fashion? i.e. bringing the thumb down towards the middle of the neck, and freeing up all that good space underneath so your fingers can move and gain access.
Note: This is not a knock on thumb wrapping as a technique, because it works, but by your own admission, it doesn't for you, even for narrow width guitars.
So why not try something different: a technique that might make it possible for you to play all guitars, regardless of size?
I'm just offering this as a suggestion to improve. If you like to thumb wrap, and don't want to give that up, then by all means keep at it. It just seems counter-productive from my viewpoint based on your situation.
It's only my opinion, and not gospel!
Andre,

I just checked out your youtube page, and I must compliment you on your playing! To others in this thread, I suggest listening to this guy. Watch and listen to him play on his youtube channel and be glad that he is willing to part with some wisdom.

In regards to the OP in this thread, there are some makers of classical guitars who build guitars that are just a few millimeters smaller in most, if not all dimensions. What continues to surprise me is how much difference a few millimeters can make. There was a cigarette ad in the 60s that claimed "just a silly millimeter longer". Well, just a silly millimeter shorter or narrower seems to make a big difference in feel for guitars too.

I have a Brunton classical guitar that is very comfortable to play because it is just a bit smaller in all dimensions: www.bruntonclassicalguitars.com.

Considering your budget as I understand it, a Brunton may not be a good choice for you, but at least know that there are folks around building a bit smaller, and more comfortable to play classical guitars without having to go the crossover route. There are certainly fine crossover guitars too. I have a very Limited Edition Taylor crossover, for example.

In short, there are many choices these days. It is a good time to be looking.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...