View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 03:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambi View Post
I was hoping someone here had advice or tips for me. I am working on a tune that's a simple melody over a busy rhythm and my brain is getting twisted trying to multitask it. I came up with it by playing back the rhythm on my phone while perfecting the melody, but when I try to play the rhythm and melody at the same time wires get crossed in my brain.

The notes are slightly apart from another but not a full in-between like a fingerpicked song where the rhythm is a steady 4/4... does that make sense lol? I don't want to compromise the rhythm part but I think I may have created something that I'm unable to play?

Any advice? Please ignore if you rolled your eyes during my 1st world problem ha.
Jambi,
You need to reduce the rhythm part to its essence.

Play the 'bass' part/notes to the groove that you have in your head, and DO NOT go crazy trying be a 'bass player'.

Insinuation, implication, suggestion, etc go a LONG way towards getting the heart of the song beating strongly enough to be able to play the chord/melody over it.

I do that sort of thing all the time.

I only have the finished track to show you, but the guitar you're hearing is just one guitar with a couple of percussion overdubs.

https://soundcloud.com/user-676357162/uh-oh

Hopefully it will inspire you.

Regards,
Howard