View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Mmmmmm, collecting old Yamaha's. As said; the intro of solid top was the Fg500. Most of the 70's solid tops were marked with an "S" designation. Some not. My thing was not the solid top. Heck, some of the old all Lam's really shine like the Fg335 and the FG335II. What I always looked for was Mahogany Necks. In the 70's/80's Nato was on the cheapies, Mahogany on the better guitars.
Speaking of necks.Every Yamaha neck I have ever seen includingmy FG1500(I am sure there are others) with the exception of 1 has been a 3 piece neck. The head and heel are glued on. The exception is the LA18. It has a neck made from a solid block. Man, if you like sustain look up the LA18/28 series. They are built specifically to carry on the tone. You can accompany yourself!
The best "value" I think are the 80's Tai L guitars. They usually have finish issues that keep them cheap for what you get. The issue is finish build up around the heel and in the case of the LA series the Bridge plates tend to lift because of finish under the plate. The odd balls are the Japan only market. I have a N500 for sale, heck for the right dough anything is for sale even my LA18. the N500 is Cheap for what it is. Find a Martin with a Ezo spruce top!
Here is the handiest tool for your quest;
http://www.yamaha.com/apps/guitararc...itarchive2.asp