View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nctom View Post
I still have the first guitar, a Yamaha FG-180, I bought some 45 years ago. The kicker is that I got it back, sort of on permanent loan, from the friend I sold it to 40+ years ago.

Doug took it to college with him, got married, moved a couple of times and came back to the same little town and settled down. He kept the Yammie through all this, but never learned to play, so it sat in the case unused for all that time.

I also moved around a bit, got married, and bought and sold too many guitars to remember. I finally moved back home and dropped in on Doug and his family and he mentioned still having my guitar. We opened the old case and there it was- still shiny and perhaps still wearing the same strings I had put on it many years ago.

I brought it home with me and am playing it again now. It sounds great!
That was my first decent guitar (1969) purchased new (£40.90), after having owned a few fairly hopeless and overbuilt Japanese efforts; among them an Eko 'Rio Bravo' and an Aria 'John Pearse'. I wonder if my retrospective rose-tinted memory is recalling that FG180 as being better than it actually was. Did yours come with the truss rod wrench in a little white cotton draw-string bag?