View Single Post
Old 08-13-2017, 12:50 AM

My first guitar, a 1988 Alvarez Regent bought new in the fall of 1989 (thought I'd made a screaming deal since I got a cardboard case, pitch pipe, beginner's book, extra strings, handful of Fender 351 type plastic picks, a strap and 4 "free" lessons OTD for less than a hundred bucks).

Not a bad guitar actually, had an adjustable saddle which at that price point is pretty good.

I was a couple months into playing, getting more up on the neck and I thought the action was too high. Took it in and asked them to lower the action, thought they'd take the saddle out and shave the bottom of it.

Instead, the guy cut the nut slots deeper, which necessitated more relief. Lower action in the first couple frets, but action up the neck was even higher!

When I complained the guy said "Well, you didn't spend a lot of money on it. Play this Yari, and you'll see what a real guitar plays like. If you want to trade it in, I'll give you twenty bucks for it. Of course, that Yari doesn't come with a case..."

Needless to say I wasn't in the position to spend Yari money (close to a grand as I recall).

I struggled with that action for a couple years, and when I finally upgraded to the solid bird's eye maple TB&S Gibson-Epiphone I have now it was my campfire beach guitar.

There was a barmaid friend I was sweet on, who lived in an employee house up here. She seemed interested in learning to play, so I gave her that guitar.

For a few weeks it lived in her bedroom (thought I was a step closer if we were in her bedroom sitting on her bed, alas no), and she decided she didn't really want to learn to play. Probably never was that interested, and might have known I had ulterior motives.

I left it there, and it migrated to a corner of the living room. I was frequently over there after the bars closed, and it was nice to be able to grab my guitar and play, and not have to carry it around with me.

After a month or so, I noticed it wasn't in the corner any more, and hoped she decided she'd like to start taking lessons again.

I asked her what happened to it, and she said she didn't know.

Several people had played it, and I figure someone thought it was unattended and claimed it for their own.

Now, I can't say I was in love with that guitar, but I'd sure like to have it now.

You never forget your first!