View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 06:19 AM

I've added 'Crown' to the title, as this is the latest series my wife and I are watching, mainly on the recommendations of a few posters here. I didn't think I was going to like it on account of it being perhaps too recent history - after all, a number of the characters are still alive if not exactly kicking - but like it we do. One thing we felt, though, is that the directors/producers have really put all their eggs in the catastrophe basket, focusing on all the calamities that beset not only the royal family, but anyone else in their sphere. The Queen is alone and bearing a terrible responsibility, the Duke is chronically frustrated and not really in love with his wife, Margaret's profound love for Townsend is sacrificed at the altar of traditional respectability, and Churchill is a man living on past glories and gradually falling apart through old age. Even his young secretary gets run over and killed in the fog epidemic of the early 50s!

Maybe the series is testimony to the belief that there's no fun in joy, at least not when we want entertainment!