View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 11:28 AM

So happens I have spent the last two days with the M9 ........

Set up:
M9, TEch21 Blonde, Bose L1 model II, Webber acoustic with highlander PUP, Sadowsky semi hollow, Strat......

The quick take, WOW..... I sure didn't get this thing the first time.......

Delays... delay.... dela...... del...... de
So many great choices here, all tap tempo. I really like the way all the analog delays (tape, mutihead, analog, etc) feed the delay signal back thru the analog mod so it gets dirtier and more effected as the repeats go on. But you also get all the nice pristine delays with either one or two taps (think simple eigths or Edge type sounds).....

Modulation effects: all good and useable. Tend to be better at the analog models but plenty of ways to do Dig Delay with Mod or chorus to get a very nice thick swimmy clean sound. Add a particle verb or a couple of others to send it to a very cool space.

Distortions: Great! Everything from subtle boost to singing violin leads (Muff type with the semi hollo is Steve Howe Heaven :-))

Looper: just a little clumsy to go in and out of this mode but after a day of working it I am getting better. Does what it should and is nicely featured. THey really should have made the looper page come up in the display when in looper mode!

Tuner: fine
EQ: Didn't really try yet

Overall:
Worked great with acoustic and Electric! PRistine lush to wonderfully gritty. Small, reasonably light, expandable (MIDI and Expression pedals). WRT the scene mode, one can have the box latch in scene mode so that there are 6 scenes at your command or go into scene mode, choose a scene and then the box goes back to stompbox mode. A seperate MIDI pedal to send the right command could be a nice add to the M9. If it were small I would get one that put the unit in and out of LOOP mode and in and out of scene latch mode.

Downsides: Not much but.... THe display is kind of tiny and the colors are a bit dark making the text that much harder for me to see (well being 52 doesn't help either)....... Better contrast or just plain brighter on the display would have been nice. When in looper mode but with nothing playing you get a solid led on the tap switch (ie it stops blinking) but nothing else. Looks a whole lot like stomp mode if you are not thinking about it. Really wish that looper had easy way to control loop volume on the fly. You have to leave looper mode, hold two switches down to get to setup mode, now the vol knob is available. A dedicated expression pedal for looper vol is also an option.......

Can you tell I am liking this one?

Now is the M9 plus expression pedal that much smaller than an X3? A little, but it certainly would fold up in a suitcase better :-).......

-Lee

PS>> The Tech 21 blonde is only used for electric work. That said, this rig really sounds great for electric!!!!!!! Not quite a match for my Rivera but totally passable and enjoyable! Last gig was the first time I tried this and received really positive feedback for the electric work (I use electric on a few tune for timbre variation) progressive acoustic trio 2 guit, bass and 3 voices, three L1 systems)........

Last edited by Ivan Lee; 03-04-2010 at 11:38 AM.