View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 11:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmapags View Post
LC said "Besides, being obsessive about these details is part of the fun of being an acoustic guitar nutcase."

Amen to that Brother!! I am guilty as charged!!\

I'm not really looking to have a custom built. I'm just looking at the whole idea of what makes a neck fit a player well besides comfort. As LJ said, his technique improved as he played the Seagull more. Obviously if a neck is uncomfortable and causes tension or pain, it's not a good one for you. But what if it's just uncomfortable because it's not what you are used to but is really best fit for your physiology and will help you to be a better player over time? For example, when I first started learning about posture and hand position, it was a little uncomfortable and unnatural to get into the proper positions but as I practiced that way, it became more natural and my technique improved as did the quality and ease of my playing. Does the same thing apply to neck profile and all the supporting components. Someone mentioned scale length for example. I am looking at trying a 12 fret or short scale because on my 25.5 scale guitar I get some discomfort in the tendons in my forearm if I play in the 1st position for any length. Is there a way for a luthier to measure someone up (as someone else said, like a tailor) and recommend what is probably best for them? Maybe not but if there is, I would sure like to know a little more about it.

Mike
Mike,
Scale length and 12 frets to the body have nothing to do with each other. You can have a long scale 12 fret or 14, or a short scale 12 or 14 fret.

How close to YOUR BODY you prefer to keep your fretting hand is another, and probably, pertinent point.

It happens to be one of the reasons I like capoing on the 2nd fret or higher, if the key will allow.

HE