View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
So, a question about the Ekoa production: how long does it take to make a Savoy, from laying up the first bit to tuning up the strings and checking it? Can they only make one at a time? (Assuming only one mold)

I understand boat building, and know that small production manufacturers have one hull mold per model. Is that the same with CF/Ekoa builders? If the demand is great, do they invest in additional molds?

With boats, the molds have a definite lifespan before they wear to the point they need to be replaced... same with guitar molds?

This inquiring mind wants to know.
Jim, I don't know the exact time it would take to complete one guitar, but I can confirm that one mold equals one guitar per day. Joe has been shooting for one completed Savoy per week, which would give the world 50 guitars per year. With the Savoy, Blackbird now has 8 models that sell as soon as we get them in. It would be 9, but the Super OM has been removed from the lineup. This was a shock to me because I had no problem selling them, and in fact, most of them sold in the store after clients tried them for the first time. But given what Joe has done with Ekoa so far, I can see why they would want to put more of their energy in to that line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
This is the first time I have looked at a carbon fiber guitar. I am impressed. The sound has got my attention. I'm not so thrilled with the shiny plastic looking back and head stock though. I will be looking into carbon fiber guitars now.
Actually, the Ekoa line probably does not belong in this section with carbon fiber guitars, because it's not meant to compete with them, the material was designed to compete with high end wood guitars, and by that I mean high end boutique brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strumalot View Post
Well yikes... I've been checking this thing out on the Blackbird site and it was love at first sight. Didn't know it wasn't readily available.

Anyway, I thought it would make a great guest guitar to compliment my GX and something to throw in The Jeep or take hiking, kayaking, etc.

Just not sure about that sound port. I didn't like it on the Levoria ~ I stuffed a rag in it ~ and it looks like the port on this guitar is too small to be converted to a beer holder.

Any thoughts on that?
Well, the Savoy would be about the best money can buy for the use you are describing, and we can certainly ask Joe if he would omit the sound port. However, the sound port does do a nice job of directing sound towards the player.