View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC1 View Post
Rosewood is cheaper. I think you would need to stretch your ears 20 miles in order to hear any difference between ebony and rosewood fingerboard (or any other fingerboard wood). On bridges this is bit different. Classical players prefer rosewood bridge over ebony as they feel ebony dampen the sound.

My own guitars I made are all ebony, but the ones I bought factory previously are rosewood, obviously as a saving measure. They all play and feel fine. If you like the look of rosewood on that guitar - no harm done in my opinion but then again you simply cannot go wrong with nice clean ebony.
Thanks for the response. Is Brazilian rosewood cheaper than ebony? I didn't know that was the case.

This builder uses Brazilian rosewood exclusively for his bridges - dyed or natural.

I have seen more cracks in Brazilian rosewood guitars than Indian rosewood, hence I wonder about stability. I also don't know whether there is a tangible difference in mass that would affect the physical balance of the guitar (a jumbo).

George