Thread: Spirit varnish
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
Shellac is a very cheap type of finish. It does not stand up to sweat or moisture well. I have used it on a few flamenco guitars where I wanted a very thin french polished finish,and it can be traditional,but that was a special category of use,where the guitar is used more in a concert situation,where it is not exposed to abuse.
Object to calling a shellac finish "cheap," which implies both inexpensive and of poor quality. True it does not wear well (at least until 50+ years of crosslinking have toughened it). But done well it is among the most beautiful of finishes, the most acoustically transparent, and in terms of longevity does not break down chemically after hundreds of years.

On another thread people have been extolling the benefit of tough, hard finishes that are impervious to whatever drinks or other objects may be thrown at them. If that is what you plan to subject your guitar to, go for it. I don't think a guitar needs to be protected as if it were going into service as a bar top or gym floor.

And hi, George. Beautiful work!

Last edited by Howard Klepper; 08-29-2009 at 09:14 AM.