View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 01:30 PM

Here is another photo.

In regard to telling you more about the instrument; that is one of the reasons I posted was to see if someone else out there was familiar with luthier James Patterson and his guitars.

All I can tell you is that I came across the guitar a few days ago and immediately bought it so no one else would get it. The tone was that good.

I had been looking around thinking of getting an OM-42 or 45 from Martin. But, this thing blew me away. I've owned and played a lot of high end Martins, and love them all. But, this one is special.

The tone is rich and very evenly balanced across the strings. The bass is deep with some power--which I haven't heard too much from the Martin OM's. (again, that is relative). Each string is very individual--i think they call that notational separation.

Nicely, the strings play clear as a bell from the top of the fret board all the way down to the body. Clear, full and without any non string sound.

I am sure there are many other custom made guitars that are equally great. All I know is that the tone and workmanship are far better than any "line" model I have played--no matter the cost. (maybe excepting the tree of life anniversary model Martin had some years back that I had a chance to play).

All I know about Patterson is that he is about 80 years old now and that he wrote a book about pearl inlay that is considered the bible of inlay work.