View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Gopher View Post
...In a time where 1 11/16" seems the norm for dreads and such, 1 3/4" seems spacious in contrast.
...What are the limitations of going too wide? Why are there not more "finger style" guitars with a "standard" of 1 13/16"???
Hi TG…
The obvious down side would be inability to finger certain chord voicings, or long stretches. The extremes would be pain or injury to the hand/wrist/fingers...

I have three guitars which are 1 3/4'' on which is 1 7/8'', and a Strat which I assume is 1 11/16''.

The thing you don't mention which is as important is neck profile...slim C, C, V, slim D and D shaped profiles will each/all impact the comfort and ease with which people play regardless of or coupled with the width and radius of the fingerboard/neck.

I’d guess the reason 1-11/16'' is so common is tradition and customer feedback/preference. Martin certainly has had everything from 1-11/16'' to 1-7/8'' in 6 string steel string guitars for pretty much a century...they sell mostly 1-11/16''.

Gibson has had 1-10/16'' (1 5/8''), and 1-11/16'' and 1-3/4''.

To address your question, a lot of 1-3/4'' nut guitars are made, offered, and sold today. Several makers (Taylor being the largest one) sell mostly 1-3/4'' nut guitars as their standard size. And it is more or less the accepted norm for hand built guitars.

And the old Seagull S-6 series is spaced at the nut like a 1-3/4'' nut guitar (I know they call them 1.8'' but they space the strings just like a regular 1-3/4'').

I would think with a little work the saddle spacing is an issue you could easily overcome. I have guitars from 2-1/4'' to 2-5/8'' and switch back and forth without issues. There was probably a time I had to adjust a little, but that's part of being a player....maybe it's a deal maker/breaker for you.

I’ve found that human hands are pretty adaptable, and it's actually probably healthier that my guitars have slight differences in nut/saddle spacing and neck profiles. That way I’m likely less at risk for repetitive motion injuries.

I measured my three handbuilts, and they are a few thousandths wider or narrower than the stated sizes...but it doesn't bother me, interfere with my playing or affect my ability to switch back and forth even within a set.

Hope this adds to the discussion...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…