View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 01:41 PM

The original poster stated that slowing the beat down, focusing on the difficult measure, using a metronome, and repeating 10 times worked for her. That's a great way to go. I also like re-trying a piece at odd, unscheduled times when I get / make free time. Sticking to the same learning routine is good but sometimes it bogs you down and you almost automatically find it not so easy to learn every time you get to it. Other things I like to do and I teach:

- really get to know the song or piece before you try to learn it on guitar

- try to guess the key of the song or some of the chords/notes before trying to play it (develop your ear)

- as Piper said in his/her post, try to learn the difficult section from the end of the measure too. See if you can get it all together (meet in the middle) I've learned some lead solos that way.

- if it's taking way too long to learn just one section, just play the part you know, for a long time, and then go back to try to relearn the hard section some time later. I learned Classical Gas that way. Took me two years but I learned it. Getting so comfortable with the part of the piece that I was able to learn that I could do it eyes closed, relaxed me and made me more open to learning the hard part.The hard part seemed much easier then.

- not sure about the meditation part, but I do sometimes mentally replay (visualize?) the piece while relaxing in bed or during other quiet times.

- youtube videos can easily be "A-B'd) so you can isolate the difficult part second by second and force-feed the notes into yourself. Nothing wrong with learning a piece note by note, just the way it was recorded and released. Then of course adapt or arrange it to your liking.